Understanding applicable blackjack rules are critical to successful gameplay and will affect the choices you have and the decisions you make. The fact remains that online bj casinos will differ in some ways. Aside from the simple differences in the user interface, and the sights and sounds you experience, there may actually be differences in what you consider standard gameplay. It is important to understand if your online casino pays 6 to 5 or the more preferable 3 to 2 when you hit a blackjack, as well as how they handle special bets and any applicable restrictions to wagers. The rules will apply equally to both downloadable and flash blackjack games.
While the basic rules for blackjack may be universal, each casino will vary on some of the details. For instance, if you are a player that prefers the opportunity to "surrender" your hand before you take any other action, when you are riding a large bet is the wrong time to find out that is not an available course of action. Many online black jack providers offer surrender, but some do not. You simply have to take the time to find out.
Basic Blackjack Rules And What To Expect
If you know anything about basic strategy, you probably understand that you should split Aces every time you get that particular hand. And while most online gambling portals only allow you to hit one card on each Ace, there is that infrequent online casino which gives you extra cards. Obviously, this is a huge advantage, and that site will probably offset this benefit by paying 6 to 5 on blackjack, rather than 3 to 2. Again, simply checking out your particular casinos Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) or Rules section gives you this information. Other rule variations can include when and if you can double down, what bonuses apply to blackjack games, how non-blackjack winning hands are paid out, the number of decks being used, and table limits, among others.
These are the types of rules you simply must understand before you ever risk a single penny of your hard-earned money. We developed this site as Internet gamers with years of experience in the online real money gambling community, and we still frequently come across sites which offer variations in bj play. The wise player understands that taking a few minutes to read the rules at a particular casino online can pay years of dividends in improved blackjack odds and bonuses. The same odds, rules, and betting strategy apply to live dealer blackjack as well.
Here is a listing of the basic blackjack rules. Please keep in mind that you will see variations of these rules from one casino to another, specifically on the areas mentioned above.
Basic Blackjack Rules Of The Game
- The objective of playing blackjack is to beat the dealer while simultaneously not exceeding 21 for your total card value.
- The game can be played with anywhere from 1 to 8 decks of cards
- Face cards are always valued at 10, and an Ace can be valued at 1 or 11, whichever is most advantageous to your hand. All other cards are counted at pip value.
- A hard hand is one that does not have any Aces present, or the Ace is counted as 1 to avoid a bust. A soft hand contains at least one Ace that can be counted at 1 or 11 without a bust.
- You are dealt two cards initially, while the dealer is dealt a card in the hole (this is his hidden card) and one 'up card' that is revealed to everyone. The dealer's card in the hole is hidden until the end of the round.
- If the dealer's up card is an Ace, he will offer a supplemental insurance bet to players. This additional bet is paid at 2:1, and can total up to one half of your original bet. This bet is optional.
- Following your initial two cards, you are given the option to 'hit' – ask for another card, or to 'stand' – stop with your existing cards and hold at what you have in your hand. This ends your turn.
- If you 'hit' and exceed 21, you bust and the dealer automatically wins regardless of what cards he has in his hand.
- If you receive an Ace and 10 initially, you have achieved Blackjack. Most online casinos will pay out at 3:2 or 6:5, You can check the rules at the casino you are at for specifics on their payout rates.
- The dealer must hit if his hand totals less than 17, and he must stand if his hand totals 17 or more.
- If the dealer achieves Blackjack, then all other bets lose with the exception of the insurance bets. If a player also has Blackjack, then the game results in a push.
- To double down you must also 'hit', and you only get one more card, which ends your turn. • You can split when you receive two of the same card, and the pair is split into two independent hands. Some casinos allow you to play up to 3 hands simultaneously derived from splitting pairs.
- Most casinos will allow you to double down during a split as well, which can triple or quadruple your initial bet with the combined split – double down move.
- Most casinos will not allow you to re-split aces, but some will.
- A blackjack that is achieved on a split is often paid at a lower rate than a non-split blackjack.
- Some casinos also allow players to surrender which means the player gives up half of the wager and the hand does not play out. This option is usually only offered on the first two cards that are dealt to a player. When playing online blackjack, you will know if the surrender option is available if you see the button present on the user interface.
- If the dealer busts, then any player who did not exceed 21 wins.
- If the dealer does not go over 21 points, then the higher hand value between the dealer and the player will win.
- Non-blackjack winning wagers are typically paid out as even money.
Best Online Casinos For Real Money Blackjack
Armed with your new understanding of key online blackjack rules, you'll enjoy a high-quality gambling experience at any of these premium casino sites. Each has been vetted personally by a member of our team and the decision to include them here came from hands-on experiences with each of them.
Although all online casinos which offer legal Internet blackjack reward you with a welcome bonus that matches a portion of your deposit, here are some of the best promotions available to blackjack players.
#1 Legal Online Blackjack Site For 2023
Bovada Casino 100% Bonus Up To $1,000 x3
3Our favorite USA-friendly online casino offering thrilling gaming action is Bovada Casino. They offer players a generous 100% bonus up to $1,000 redeemable 3 times for a potential total of $3,000 free. Bovada was launched in 2011. They earned the #1 spot here efficiently and they stand out nicely from the crowd. Bovada bases their Internet blackjack operations out of Costa Rica, a legal gaming district that is able to serve US players online.
The Top-Ranked International Blackjack Gambling Site
Non-USA players need exceptional online gambling options as well, and Bet365 is our favorite option to recommend. They offer a huge selection of online gambling venues and have proven to be reliable and trustworthy in every way. International players love them, and it's easy to see why.
We've also recently added a new section to our site that reviews each individual software and offers a list of the best blackjack sites along with standard game rules for that particular software.
RTG Blackjack - Also known as Real Time Gaming, RTG is one of the fastest playing casino software's around.